Cool of the Wild is all about getting more people outside. We offer valuable information and advice that our readers will benefit from. We’d love to share your writing to help inspire more people to get out there and get adventuring, and would love to hear your ideas.
Before you submit an idea for a guest post, please make sure you have read the below guidelines. We receive a lot of guest post submissions and your chances of getting featured will be much greater if you follow our suggestions.
What to write about
We are currently only looking for guest posts about the following:
- A specific adventure you have been on that is unique and interesting
- An outdoor pursuit that you have expertise or experience in that beginners could try. See our Try Something New (TSN) articles. Could you write a post in the same format as our existing TSN articles?
- A ‘how to’ guide that offers readers valuable and sought-after information on a particular outdoor subject. i.e. How to use a compass.
- PLEASE DON’T SEND IDEAS THAT WE’VE ALREADY WRITTEN ABOUT!
Please send an email with your guest post idea to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you include the following information:
- Subject title should be: COTW Guest Post from [your name/blog]
- Who you are and the name of your blog/website (or the blog you wish to link to)
- The title of your proposed guest post
- A couple of bullet points outlining the content of the post
- A link to 1 or 2 examples of your best work
We won’t get back to you unless your idea is original, useful and something our readers will love. Please look around the site to see what subjects we’ve already covered.
Guest post guidelines
Before you send us your approved guest post, make sure that the article:
- Is unique content (not published anywhere else).
- Is full of insanely useful content that can benefit our readers.
- Is 1000-1500 words long.
- Grabs the reader from the very start. They should understand immediately what the subject is about, making them want to know more.
- Uses lists, headings, subheadings and bold font where appropriate to make it easy to read and eye catching to skim readers.
- Includes examples and anecdotes to reinforce your points.
- Has a conclusion and a call to action.
- Includes 3-4 links to useful sources.
- Has an attention-grabbing title.
- Has an author bio which can include a link to your own blog.
- Includes a headshot image of the author.
- Includes 3-4 images (landscape if possible). These should be your own photos. We can help with this if you are struggling to get enough appropriate images.
Your article should be emailed to us as a Google Doc or Word file. Images should be sent separately via email, Dropbox (or similar).
Other important info
If your guest post submission is successful, we may ask you to make some changes or alterations. Please don’t be put off by this – we just want to make it as good as possible. We may also make some spelling and grammatical alterations if needed.
Once the guest post is live on COTW, we ask that you share the post widely with your own readership on social media.