Unless I’m out backpacking and need to leave the campsite early, I always try to make the effort to whip up a cracking camping breakfast. I’m usually up early anyway when I’m camping – either to catch the sunrise, or just because I love camping so much! So it’s really nice to have some time to make a big camping breakfast to set everyone up nicely for the day of adventure ahead. My go-to breakfast is usually a scrambled egg and smoked salmon wrap. So simple and so delicious. But recently I’m loving camping breakfast burritos.
Cooking camping breakfast burritos with potatoes can be a bit of a faff when you’re working with basic cooking facilities. I know I said I like taking my time to cook camping breakfasts, but for me there’s a limit. I tend to still lean towards cooking quick and easy camping meals and one-pot dinners. So this recipe for camping breakfast burritos uses black beans instead of potatoes. They are mega easy to cook with and store really well too.
There are a ton of ingredients you could add to camping breakfast burritos. Throw in some spicy sausage meat, smoked bacon, hash browns, fried mushrooms or sautéed peppers. Replace the cheddar with garlic cream cheese and the meat with smoked fish. Yum! But I like these ingredients because they are healthy and delicious, store well and are dead easy to cook with.
Camping Breakfast Burritos
Jam-packed full of energy and great nutrition – the perfect start to a day out in the wild.
Makes 4 burritos
- 2 ripe tomatoes – diced
- 1 tin of black beans
- 1 spicy chorizo sausage (150g) – sliced
- 10 large eggs – whisked together
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 100g of grated cheese (cheddar or monteray jack)
- 1 avocado
- Throw the chopped tomatoes into a small saucepan, and fry lightly on a low heat. Stir constantly to prevent the tomatoes sticking to the pan.
- Once the tomatoes have softened, add the black beans and stir together until heated through. If you want to add a kick to your camping breakfast burritos, then some chilli or paprika can be added to the bean mix.
- Take off the heat and pop a lid on the pan to stop the heat escaping.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over the campfire or on your camping stove and add the sliced chorizo. The chorizo will generate its own fat so you don’t need to use cooking oil.
- Once the chorizo is lightly browned and there is fat in the pan, add the eggs and stir on a low heat until the eggs are cooked to your preference. I prefer them slightly moist and in big chunks so I gently turn the eggs over as they cook instead of stirring.
- Take off the heat when cooked to your preference.
- Re-heat the black beans if necessary and then add a dollop of black beans mix onto each tortilla.
- Top with cheese and then put the scrambled eggs on top of the cheese to make sure that it melts nicely.
- Add a couple of scoops of avocado, some salt and pepper if needed, sprinkle with coriander and wrap the whole thing up.
Camping breakfast burritos are an excellent balance of great nutrition and delicious decadence that will keep you going for hours. Serve with a freshly brewed campfire coffee and the day really couldn’t be more of a treat before you’ve even really started!